Friday, April 8, 2011

Dinner like a Pauper

Have you ever heard the expression, "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper"? The way I see it, one doesn't expend many calories by sleeping, so a heavy dinner will be converted to fat rather than expended as energy. On the other hand, your body can only burn so many calories at a time (unless you're exercising or performing strenuous physical labor all day), so any huge meal is going to be stored. Better, I think, to eat moderately and consistently.

Anyway, my boyfriend is occasionally irked by my use of the word "peasant". As in "yummy peasant foods", because he thinks that, perhaps, peasants didn't really have access to what I'm eating. I could say "yummy traditional indigenous people's foods", but that's rather a mouthful.

However, I wonder whether he could really find fault in describing my dinner last night as "peasant food". I had to stay over two hours late at work, dropping me at home at 7:30 and ravenous. No time to plan and cook a complicated meal. Plus, I'm letting my supplies run down ahead of visiting the farmers' market tomorrow morning, so there's not so much food in the house. So I consumed:

goat milk kefir
green beans
homemade sourdough rye bread and butter

Can I get a consensus on whether a European peasant might have had all of these at a meal? :) After dinner, I made myself a little dessert plate with dried fruit, walnuts, and a bit of dark, dark chocolate. Yes, it was food therapy, but I'm not ashamed. I treat myself right!

No comments:

Post a Comment