Thursday, May 5, 2011

Ah, the devil you know

There's a pocket on the back of my lunch bag. I stuff tea bags into it, so I have some nice homey tea to drink at work. (There's tea in the break room, but I don't know how old it is, and so often I find bagged tea to be way too tannic, since it's made from tea sweepings, so I stick to the bags that I do like.) As I was rummaging through it for tea, I found at the very bottom a square of Ghirardelli dark chocolate with raspberry filling.

Ever since that Wednesday, way back in March, I've been so good about not eating any refined sugar. I slipped up, once, and discovered how much it wasn't worth it to have a body full of sugar. Blech. But this was chocolate. Dark chocolate. And raspberry. The temptation was great. After all, it was just one square. Just this once.

I overcame the temptation. After all, it's just not worth it. Into the garbage it was going.

I happened to flip it over and read this on the ingredient list: partially hydrogenated soybean oil.

Into the garbage it went, without any guilt whatsoever. I might have to fight sugar, but anything with the words "partially hydrogenated" or "high fructose" are not going to pass my lips voluntarily. This rule makes it a lot easier to fight against the convenient packaged foods that my body has been suckered into enjoying.

Perhaps instead of tagging this "sugar-free", I should now declare myself "free from sugar". :)

No comments:

Post a Comment