Friday, May 16, 2014

Rest Day, but Stress Day!

Realizing that I had scheduled significant amounts of exercise for both Saturday and Sunday, yet again, I took today as a much-needed complete rest from deliberate exercise.

Instead, I was the beneficiary of significant amounts of work-related movement throughout the day.  This morning, my boss put forward the innocent question of, "What's your schedule like today?"  I reply that I'm doing this and that, and he says to drop everything and start working on Priority Project 1.  So I scramble to start arranging everything for Priority Project 1 and begin work, going back and forth between two laboratories to coordinate samples and machinery.

Right after lunch, boss's boss messages me to say, drop everything and start working on Priority Project 1A.  So, again, I scramble to start arranging everything for Priority Project 1A, and message boss to indicate that he should start farming out some duties of Priority Project 1 to other analysts.  In the midst of working on 1A, the machine I'd already started up for 1 goes pear-shaped, and I have to double back and get it running again, on a different machine.

By about 4:45, I felt so stressed that I almost wanted to cancel my 5:30 massage.  That's right: I was too stressed to even get a massage.

However, my logical brain prevailed, I wrapped up work around 5 after coordinating things for Monday.  The massage was lovely.  A dinner of liver & onions, broccoli, pinot grigio, and raw vegan cocoa-banana pie is in my belly.  I'm about to pick up a little embroidery for the next hour and go to bed on time.  Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment