Friday, March 26, 2010

The little things

When I got home from work yesterday, I was tired. The drive home had been particularly taxing, so all I really wanted to do was throw myself down on the bed for a nap. However, I was hungry, so I had tea and (honey-sweetened) cookies. Then I worked on a few odds & ends and debated whether I'd go running before music rehearsal. Part of me said, "I've got too much to do. I should just take care of a few domestic activities and take it easy before rehearsal." Then another part of me countered that with, "But I really want to try out that new iPod holder armband that I bought last night."

So I threw on some exercise clothes and headed down to the park.

Where I, with electronica in my ears, somehow managed to find my stride and I ended up running 4 laps, walking 1, and running 4 more. A lap around the park is essentially 1/3 mile, so I was, for about the second time in my life, jogging more than a mile at a stretch. It wasn't particularly fast, only about 6.5 - 7 mph, but my friend (and Ironman triathelete) always says that speed will come with time.

The moral of the story, for me at least, is that any little detail that you can find that helps you feel good about yourself will help you get out there and exercise. It may be some good exercise clothes that are comfortable and stylish. It may be a new album of music in your iPod. It may be a variation to your exercise routine, like a dance class or running on the beach instead of on the treadmill. Whatever it takes to help you achieve your fitness goals is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment