Monday, March 29, 2010

Greek Yogurt, Part 3

I just ate one more brand of Greek Yogurt. This time, it was Fage Total 2% (all natural lowfat Greek strained yogurt.) This is the first yogurt I've had lately that was not fat-free. As for nutrition, an individual 7 oz. serving contains 130 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated), 8 g carbohydrates, 17 g protein, and 20% RDA for calcium.

Man, that 4 g of fat sure made a difference. This was like eating cream cheese compared to the fat-free yogurts. It was wonderfully smooth and thick, and very very mild in flavor. Very much like the missing link between yogurt and yogurt cheese. :) It only contains two yogurt cultures: L. Bulgaricus and S. Thermophilus, so if you're looking for Acidophilus, you're going to need to keep looking. I know I didn't mention this for the other two yogurts, but Fage has a little statement on the container that their milk suppliers pledge not to treat their cows with rBGH (recombinant bovine growth hormone), which is a good thing, in my book.

Final verdict: I would totally share and enjoy this yogurt.

2 comments:

  1. I totally love the Fage! It is killer. Even the fat-free version is rich and creamy. I usually buy brands that are a little bit cheaper, but when I'm in the mood to indulge in seriously good yogurt, this is the one I pick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to try this one. Your description is drool-worthy.

    ReplyDelete