Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Totally Off-Topic Rant

It's my blog, so I can say what I want. Before I go nuts, however, just a quick status report on the no sugar thing. It's going pretty much okay so far. I totally broke it in order to have fruity drinks with the girls on Saturday, but now I'm convinced that I can make a better cocktail using straight-up mango juice and alcohol of choice, rather than anything involving syrups. I don't mind my cocktails a bit fruit-sweet, but I can't stand them totally syrupy-sweet. Yesterday was a very fruity day: raisins and dates in my breakfast, an apple at lunch, dried cherries for a snack, and applesauce after dinner.

Now for the rant. According to FB, my cousin's wife gave birth to a baby girl and they named her Logan. Logan is a boy's name. In fact, my own brother is named Logan. How can our mutual cousin give his daughter the same name as my burly, hairy, manly brother? Would they name their son Melissa?

I am prejudiced against strange masculine names for girls. Names like Sydney, Mackenzie, Schuyler, Taylor, and now Logan. I actually have less of a problem with anachronistic names (not surprising, given my predilection for historical pursuits) than crazy names. And the Mormons are well known for crazy names. Just look it up on Google.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's a new trend to name girls with boys names. I think it's kinda dumb. I don't think I could call a little girl James any more than I could call a little boy Shirley.

    Maybe I'm just being sexist? Dunno. But I find it weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Weird. Especially weird to have a boy and a girl in the same extended family with the same name. I mean, I wish them all the best, but I wonder what it's going to be like for sweet little Logan when she meets big Uncle Logan.

    ReplyDelete