Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Moo, I say. Moo.



Today's exercise: 10 laps around the park (allegedly 1/3 mile per lap) as follows: walk 1, run 2, walk 1, run 2, walk 1, run 2, walk 1. Plus walking to and from the park, total workout time was about 45 minutes. Ankles are still a bit sore from Sunday's run and yesterday's yoga, so I took it a bit easy. Here's me, about to head out for my run. It was very overcast when I left.

I've discovered that the yoga teacher on Monday afternoons is not such a good match for me. I can't exactly pin down why, but I found myself wanting to look over my shoulder at the clock to see how much more we had. There's one more instructor on Friday afternoons, and I'm hoping to check him out this week. However, if the Wednesday afternoon fellow is the only one that works out for me, I'll be fine taking yoga just once a week.

Here's what I cooked last night. 2-Bean Stir Fry.
You'll need:
Coconut oil
1/2 Tbsp Grated ginger
1-2 cloves garlic, minced (which I didn't have, sadly, but you should)
1 onion, sliced
Two big handfuls of green beans, ends trimmed, and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 C edamame (I used frozen, which I boiled in water in the microwave)
Tamari, soy sauce, or salt to taste

Over medium heat, saute the onion in the coconut oil to your liking. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a bit. Add the green beans, saute for a minute, and then cover the pan to steam for 5 mins (this just helps the green beans cook.) Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the green beans are browned and cooked to your taste (whether you like them more crisp, or more soft). Add the edamame and tamari sauce and mix well. Serve over brown rice.

I got the idea of coconut oil from Emily. (Scroll halfway down the page to the big picture of green beans.) Coconut oil has a very high percentage of saturated fat, so you don't want to use a lot of it, but a little bit is all it takes to give food a wonderful, rich flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment